Carver to Carver: In Conversation Gordon Dick and Kelly Robinson
Gordon DickCarver, Artist
I am a Tseshaht/Nuu-chah-nulth artist who grew up in Port Alberni, where I continue to live. I am a Master Carver, jewellery maker, designer and producer of large scale woodcarvings.
I have a deep respect for nature and in my art I work towards striking a balance between influencing the material and having the material influence me. My art is shaped by my values which were taught to me as the values of my culture: To be connected to the environment, to value the language of nature and to pay attention to its teachings. As humans we share our lives on the planet with other living creatures so the presence of animals and supernatural beings feature strongly in my work. We cannot know everything there is to know and there is a larger force connecting everything together.
Kelly RobinsonCarver, Artist
Join us for the film premiere of “Carver to Carver: Gordon Dick and Kelly Robinson In Conversation.” The film can be watched here.
The entire Carver to Carver film series, hosted by Gordon Dick, will premiere on our YouTube Channel at 4pm PST and will be available to view throughout the festival weekend. We recommend watching the series in the order that they are listed in on our playlist:
- Short: Introduction to Gordon Dick – Influences, Cultural Signature and the Evolution of the Art form
- Gallery Walkthrough with Gordon Dick: Nuu-chah-nulth Signatures, Materials and Nature
- Carver to Carver: In Conversation Gordon Dick and Kelly Robinson
- Short: Advice for Young Artists
- Carver to Carver: Joe David, Nuu-chah-nulth Visual Signatures
- Short: The Importance of Mentors
- Carver to Carver: Tim Paul, The River Calls Me