Call for Interest: 2020 Festival Creative Director – Carving on the Edge Festival Society is seeking to hire a Creative Director who will oversee the curatorial vision and coordination of the 2020 Carving on the Edge Festival to be held September 8-17, 2020 in Tofino, BC.
Contract Time frame: Terms: October 1st, 2019 – October 31st, 2020
Terms: To be determined based on candidate’s experience and agreement
Wage: Full-time contract
Location: Tofino, BC
We acknowledge that this role will require a unique and varied skillset and welcome applications from those with diverse experiences. This role may be adjusted to the skills & interest of those that apply. The Festival Creative Director is expected to fulfill a leadership role in a supportive team environment, working collaboratively with long term advisors, senior and seasonal staff.
Festival Curation (%50)
- Festival Theme and Vision: Develop a curatorial vision and program for the 2020 Carving on the
Edge Festival’s 10th anniversary
- Program development: Work with guidance from senior staff and the festival‘s Board of
Directors, to deliver the theme, program elements, artists, and presenters for the 2020 festival
- Conduct outreach to the broad carving community, artists, coastal communities to engage and
support the festival’s development. Festival Coordination (%50)
- Facilitate the execution of the 2020 festival program
- Efficiently communicate and collaborate with staff, artists, and presenters
- Work towards fundraising, grant writing & partnerships to deliver the festival.
- Coordinate contract, payments, and accommodations to participating artists
- Work towards a social media and marketing plan for the festival
- Develop sponsorship agreements with local businesses
- Develop and implement a safety plan (including a First Aid area)
- Ensure we are meeting our goal of being a ‘green’ event by using the Sustainable Event Guide
- Deliver the administrative infrastructure of the festival that includes report writing, using formal contracts, and working with budget and project management spreadsheets
What skills and experience you should have:
- Familiarity with west coast carving arts
- Familiarity with coastal First Nations culture and community
- Knowledge of the coastal artists community would be a valuable asset
- Experience and enjoyment of coordinating multi-day events
- Experience working collaboratively in a team
- Ability to be self-motivated in taking charge, and helping where you see help is needed
- Familiarity with the Carving on the Edge Festival and ideally have attended the festival before
- Skills to be an effective communicator and are familiar with working with people from various
cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.
We encourage applications from equity-seeking communities across the province including Indigenous community members, communities of colour, LGBTQ2+ communities, people with disabilities and/or young people. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the role is filled. Please submit a CV & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org